30 March 2013

THE ENDS OF THE EARTH by Jeff Franks

In the late 80's I was enrolled in a discipleship group called Master Life, focused
on being a committed disciple of Jesus. Having renewed my devotion to Jesus, I
especially wanted to serve him in Russia, since daily I had been reading about Josh
MacDowell's ministry to orphans in Moscow and the reports were exciting. Not only
that, but I had studied Russian and had developed some fluency. I was "chomping at
the bit" to go to the former Soviet mission field.

But one day during my quiet time a verse pierced me like a well-aimed arrow: "Wisdom
is in the sight of him who has understanding, but the eyes of a fool are on the ends of
the earth." (Prov. 17:24) Jesus was saying, "Quit all your vain imaginings that you will
do great things for me in a far away land. Come follow me right where you are. Right
here where I am Wisdom in your sight. Be my disciple here in your local church and in
your neighborhood."

I heard his call loud and clear. I followed him. Five years later, when I was truly
enjoying my ministry in our church's Sunday school, leading discipleship small groups,
and doing street evangelism, the Lord cracked open a door for a short term mission
trip to Crimea, Ukraine.    It ended up our family moved to Ukraine two years later.  That
was nearly 21 years ago and we are still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT, WE LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK. Unfortunately, we can no longer accept anonymous comments.