21 March 2009

Danilovskaya Monastery in Moscow


I thought you would enjoy seeing this panoramic view from the Danilovskaya Hotel in Moscow. In mid-March Moscow was still white, with flakes still falling most evenings. The monastery was built by the son of Alexander Nevsky in the late 1700's, and I read in one place that it was Moscow's first all-men's monastery. I have no idea what that means. Were they co-ed before that? It is also the official residence of the Most Holy Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Alexey II. (Amazingly, I was able to write his whole title and name without resorting to an exclamation mark. I am counting on his excellency to forgive the omission. Thank you for your prayers, our meetings went well. Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT, WE LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK. Unfortunately, we can no longer accept anonymous comments.